Music appreciation - a semi-regular blog featuring show reviews, new records,
old and rediscovered records, and other musical musings.

August 22, 2008

Ten minutes to meltdown

This morning I had the distinct pleasure of being woken up by Slobberbone's "Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today." Now eight years old, this record grows in stature every time I think (or as was the case, when my alarm system selected it at random as the record I would hear first) to play it.

In a way I often think of this as the last Slobberbone record, which isn't fair of course, because two years later the band put out "Slippage" which is no slouch of a record either. But it's hard to deny that for a band that was known for their incendiary live shows and that toured small clubs relentlessly with an electric assault that couldn't be denied, that the "roots" sound of EYTWRWWT captured Brent Best, Brian Lane, Jess Barr and Tony Harper at their best and most varied. From the opening chords of "Meltdown" through the rock raveups of "Placemat Blues" and "Lazy Guy" to my personal favourite track, "Bright Eyes Darkened" (which, on reflection, might have been a bit of a window into the sound of the band that rose from S'bone's ashes, The Drams) and the majestic "Some New Town" this record is simply top notch from start to finish.

In other news, I just received four discs worth of Blind Willie McTell. The package is thin on liner notes and leaves a lot to be desired from a packaging perspective at first glance, but at $6 a disc I can't really complain too much. More once I've listened to it.

No comments: